Friday, June 11, 2010

Recommended Summer Reading - Trina Burke

During the month of June, No Tells is featuring "Recommended Summer Reading" selections by No Tell contributors.


Trina Burke's recommendations:

Chapbooks:

from Doll Studies: Forensics by Carol Guess (Dancing Girl Press)
I heard Guess read exerpts from this project in Seattle sometime last year and have been dying to read the rest ever since.

Between the Devil and the Deep by Lindsay Bland (Dancing Girl Press)
OK, true story: I went to school with Lindsay Bland. Then again, I went to school with a lot of people, and their books didn't make my summer reading list. Maybe that's because I've already read them or they aren't out yet. Anyway. What matters right here, right now, is that I've been missing Bland's poems because they exhibit a sophistication and hotness that cannot be denied. I am so very excited to see what she's been up to.

Book Books:

Raptus by Joanna Klink (Penguin)
Klink's work has a sincerity about it that I keep hoping will rub off on mine.

Orange Crush by Simone Muench (Sarabande)
I really dug Muench's Lampblack & Ash. Something about the way she takes the subject of her homage and runs with it. Both that book and this are rooted in(inspired by? seeded by? playing with?) the historical, but Muench has the power to take them totally off-world.

Exilee and Temps Morts: Selected Works by Theresa Hak Kyung Cha (University of California Press)
I've read and reread Cha's Dictee so many times that I was ecstatic to see that this edition of her other work had come out.

* * *

Trina Burke’s poems have appeared recently in Drunken Boat, Word /for Word, Fawlt, Prick of the Spindle, The Iron Horse Review, and Quarterly West. Her chapbook, Great America, is forthcoming from Dancing Girl Press. She received an MFA in poetry from the University of Montana and an MA in English from Western Washington University.

No comments: