Monday, November 23, 2009

Best Poetry Books of 2009 - Suzanne Frischkorn

Suzanne Frischkorn's selections:

The First Risk by Charles Jensen (Lethe Press)
"...epic in approach, experimental in intent, and lyric in result," Jim Elledge beat me to it, but let it be known I wholeheartedly agree and I would also add innovative. Jensen's The First Risk is one of my favorite books of 2009 and any year for that matter.

Disappears in the Rain by Matthew Thorburn (Parlor Press)
One of the lines of this long poem set in Japan

I dream that all our conversations / are dubbed -- it's easier /

reminds me of its cinamatic quality, and I'm here to tell you that Thorburn's camera work is amazing. Disappears in the Rain is written in a loose version of the traditional renga form of linked verse and produced as a limited edition chapbook.

* * *

Suzanne Frischkorn is the author of Lit Windowpane, (2008) and Girl On A Bridge forthcoming in 2010, both from Main Street Rag Publishing. In addition she is the author of five chapbooks, most recently American Flamingo, (2008). A 2009 Emerging Writers Fellow of The Writer's Center, her honors also include the Aldrich Poetry Award and an Artist Fellowship from the Connecticut Commission on Culture & Tourism.

No comments: