Monday, November 29, 2010

Best Poetry Books of 2010 - Joshua Marie Wilkinson

Joshua Marie Wilkinson's selections:

Hank by Abraham Smith (Action Books)

Undocumentaries by Rosa Alcala (Shearsman Books)

Effacement by Elizabeth Arnold (Flood Editions)

Where We Think It Should Go by Claire Becker (Octopus Books)

The Wasteland by John Beer (Canarium Books)

Sarah--Of Fragments and Lines by Julie Carr (Coffee House Press)

English Fragments A Brief History of the Soul by Martin Corless-Smith (Fence Books)

Thin Kimono by Michael Earl Craig (Wave Books)

Chora by Sandra Doller (Ahsahta Press)

Ventrakl by Christian Hawkey (Ugly Duckling Presse)

The Sore Throat & Other Poems by Aaron Kunin (Fence Books)

Black Life by Dorothea Lasky (Wave Books)

Seven Controlled Vocabularies and Obituary 2004. The Joy of Cooking by Tan Lin (Wesleyan Univ. Press)

B Jenkins by Fred Moten (Duke Univ. Press)

I'm not much for hierarchies, but I am a fan of overhearing what folks are reading-and I like to learn of new books that people have been loving each year. So, I offer my list at the risk of former, in hopes of the latter--that somebody might find something new here that I loved to get into. I know I missed a lot of books this year that others will hopefully turn me on to, too. Also a few books I loved that weren't exactly poetry: Inferno by Eileen Myles (O/R Books); Event Factory by Renee Gladman (Dorothy Project); and William Wylie's Route 36 (Flood Editions).

* * *

Joshua Marie Wilkinson's most recent books are Selenography (Sidebrow Books) and Poets on Teaching (Univ. of Iowa Press), both from 2010. He lives in Chicago.

No comments: