Saturday, July 16, 2011

No Tell Motel To Close Doors

When I launched No Tell Motel with Molly Arden back in August 2004, I had no idea the life it would take on. At the time I just wanted to work on a literary magazine and nobody else would let me work on theirs. So I started my own, with no editorial or publishing experience, only ideas on how it "ought to be done." Over the past 7 years, NTM published over 2000 poems by almost 300 poets. This is one of my proudest accomplishments and I thank all the poets who gave NTM the honor of publishing their poems.

Anyone who edits a publication knows the amount of time and energy required to start and maintain a literary magazine. After 7 years of channeling much of my time and energy into NTM I decided that I very much wish to channel it into new directions. The week of October 17 will be NTM's final week. Jill Alexander Essbaum, one of NTM's earliest contributors and the author of the magazine's most popular poem, has graciously agreed to be our final guest.

Our archives will remain online and accessible indefinitely. No Tell Books will publish Lea Graham's Hough & Helix & Where & Here & You, You, You in August. After that No Tell Books will take a hiatus from publishing new titles. I will use that time to further support the backlist and revaluate the direction of the press. It is my intention relaunch No Tell Books sometime in the near future.

I have already shared this news with some friends. A few expressed sadness and offered suggestions on how I could continue running NTM or the possibility of passing it down to a new editor. I'm not sad about NTM ending. Everything has a lifespan. Also, there is nothing stopping other potential editors from launching their own publication using or modifying NTM's format if they wish to do so.

Thank you for being a reader of No Tell Motel. It's been a true pleasure.

Sincerely,
Reb Livingston, Editor

24 comments:

maryrose larkin said...

Reb--

Thank you for all that you've done. The world would be a less rich place without you.

Jeannine said...

Thanks for all your hard work. Sorry to hear this!

Anne Gorrick said...

Thanks so much for all you've done, and all the ideas you've given us to make our poetry world much bigger than it was before...

You rock, Reb!

Daniela Olszewska said...

Thank you Reb for all of the time and energy (and love) you've put into No Tell. XO, D.

Oliver de la Paz said...

Bravo, Reb, for the type of community you've created with NTB and with the vital conversation you've contributed to the world of publishing.

Funnily, the word verification is "pacer," so pace yourself during your break!

--Oliver

Just the facts please, Ma'am said...

Ya done good, girl. Thanks for your appreciation and support. Best wishes to your future endeavors!

Unknown said...

It is a wonderful place to hang out- I'm happy to hear it will remain online, there's so much good stuff to read. Enjoy your new adventures!

Kathleen said...

Congratulations on a job well done!

Charles said...

NTM has always been one of my favorites! Congratulations on what you accomplished. xoxo

Kistulentz said...

I'm always proud to have been one of the 300. Thanks Reb for all the hard work.

Chris said...

I believe that No Tell Motel truly changed how publishing is happening today. I believe it was a revolutionary step for the art.

I'm proud to have seen it happen.

Sandra said...

Hooray for Reb (and let's not forget Molly)....Awesome magazine, awesome press, awesome job. Happy to have been a part of it & been witness to the hard work of its editors. Now you deserve a break & a chance to refocus your energy. The poetry world thanks you!

Cheers,
Sandra

Michael Gushue said...

Reb, I've always looked forward to a new week of NTM. You're going out on a high note, and I thank you and Molly for all you've done. Y'all've been the best of the best of the best. Adieu.

Annandale Dream Gazette said...

You accomplished a tremendous amount. Thank you for everything.

Suzanne said...

No. Thank you, NTM and NTB were very much appreciated over in these parts. Congratulations on a great run and thanks for all you've done! xo

Anonymous said...

good luck in your future endeavors
jilly

Matthew Thorburn said...

Congratulations on a job very very well done! I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Anne Gorrick said...

I've got to sneak in one last time and steal a commemorative bible...

a.k.a. "Joe" said...

Ugh. Makes me sad. But you certainly deserve a hiatus. Take a trip to Hiatusport. Have some saltwater taffy.

But really, it's been such a great mag. Will the archives continue to be available?

Joe

vmh said...

Thank you for all that you've done! I've enjoyed so much here.

Lucy Diamond Biederman said...

Reb, you and No Tell are both AMAZING. Thank you so much for doing it.

Mel Barrett said...

Reb! You have given so many awesome poets a podium & a mic. Thanks for your support! And best of luck on future projects. xo

Empurpler said...

Thank you Reb. You're the best and No Tell has given and is due loads of love. Excited to see what directions you verge in now. Best to you and Molly.

Neil Aitken said...

Reb - you've had a fantastic run and it's been a pleasure to see all the great work you've featured over the years. I'm sad to see No Tell Motel close its doors, but know that energy will be rechanneled in other ways. Thanks for being a great example of what a literary journal can do to foster a real community of writers!

Neil & the Boxcar Poetry Review crew